Saturday, July 4, 2009

Rodeo Beans

Serves a crowd. This recipes is doubled from the original (and of course tweaked according to my experimentations. It probably makes 15-20 heaping spoonfuls.)

Trust me-- this is a crowd pleaser. Serve it with barbecued chicken or fried chicken, corn on the cob, and a salad and everyone will love it. They beat canned baked beans a thousand times over. I'll post a pic after our BBQ today. Enjoy!

1 lb. bacon
2 lbs hamburger (or little smokies)*
1 onion, chopped (you can skip this if you want, but I like it)
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 tsp dry mustard**
1 cup brown sugar
1 scant cup white sugar
2 cans Pork n' Beans
2 cans kidney beans, drained
2 cans butter beans, drained (or any white bean)

Cut bacon into small pieces and brown in a large pot. When the bacon is almost done add the hamburger and onion. Cook until very brown (this is how you develop your flavor). I do not skim the fat until right before I serve so I can get all the flavor I want out of it, but you'll get more fat out of the dish if you do drain right here. To the pot, add the ketchup, sugars, vinegar and mustard. Let it bubble for a few minutes and add the canned beans. Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for 15 minutes on the stovetop. If you have a oven-proof pot, bake the beans in the pot in the oven @ 250 for 1-2 hours, or until you're ready to serve. Stir occasionally. You can also transfer the beans to a casserole dish with a lid and bake. OR, transfer them to a crock pot until you're ready to serve. The longer the sauce has to develop, the better they will taste.

* I had a request to put little smokies in this time-- It seems saucier, but I didn't use a full 2 pounds. I bought a 14 oz. package. I let you know how it goes.

** If you don't have vinegar or ground mustard, just use a heaping 1/4 C prepared mustard. These are sweet, so don't be shy.

Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Kate Larsen said...

I like the hamburger better, but the lil' smokies were okay.