Monday, November 10, 2008

Breakfast Crepes

The kids ALWAYS request this!
My mom made this when I was little and it was always a favorite. You have to cook each crepe individually and I remember mom had 3 pans going on the oven at the same time. Um, can you say multi-tasking? I can barely manage one!

Preheat frying (crepe) pan on large oven burner at medium heat. (use a teflon coated pan, or a good covering of Pam spray - these will stick)
Mix:
2 cups flour (I use 1 cup whole wheat & 1 cup white unbleached)
1/8 cup sugar (adjust to your sweetness taste)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
milk, milk, milk (I'm unsure how much I use. I just use enough to make the batter really runny after mixing everything else above).

Pour batter into center of well greased, hot pan. Hold pan and twist, turn and contort until the batter is evenly covering the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 min. or so, until the edges are brown and lightly cooked. Flip crepe over and cook another minute until just done. They burn easily so watch them.
Remove from pan and prepare with butter and a light dusting of powdered sugar. Roll up and enjoy. Some of my kids like them cut up to eat with a fork, others like them rolled up and eaten with their hands. Whatever works for you and yours!
We also change the filling up whenever we feel like it. I've done butter and syrup, raspberry jam, cinnamon sugar, bananas and whipped cream, etc. . . .You could even do a fruit cream cheese something or other. Enjoy! We do!!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

My kids love these, too! I've never tried them with wheat flour, though. I'm going to try that!

Chy said...

Hey this is one of my family favs gowing up. My grandma Lundblade was known for them! I'm lame and buy the crepes premade at walmart...;>/

Julie Arfmann said...

I love crepes, I bet my kids will love them too, when I make them for them! I'm so glad you started this site because I keep making the same thing every week... boring! I will think of something to post! As for the theme music... we sing that song everyday at our house and are Insideout's number one fans...haha...Jules